Congress misusing CBI against Paswan, says BJP
Vijayawada: Amid speculation of LJP joining hands with it, BJP today alleged that UPA was now misusing the CBI against Ram Vilas Paswan as it had targeted its other opponents.
"Paswan is the latest example of misuse of CBI by Congress," senior BJP leader Venkaiah Naidu told reporters here apparently hinting that the Paswan was being harrassed following reports that he was contemplating joining hands with the party.
Naidu was reacting over reports that CBI may question former Union Steel Minister Paswan in connection with alleged illegalities in the Bokaro Steel plant recruitment process in which relatives of some high-profile personalities are under the scanner of the agency.
Paswan, who is negotiating seating arrangements in Bihar for the upcoming general elections, has come under the lens following recovery of some documents which, agency sources claimed, indicate that his staff may have been actively involved in extending favours to some candidates.
Paswan was Union minister for chemicals, fertilisers and steel during the UPA government between May 2004 and May 2009 and these allegedly fraudulent appointments were made during his tenure.
The former BJP chief further said, "Till the time former Chief Minister Andhra Pradesh Y S Rajasekhara Reddy was at the helm of affairs, there was no inquiry against his son Jaganmohan Reddy. However, after his father`s demise Jagan snapped ties with the Congress and the government ordered a CBI inquiry into his assets."
"Till the time Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav and BSP chief Mayawati support UPA, there would be no CBI inqiry against them and they even tried to issue clean chits to them through CBI," Naidu claimed.
CBI should be kept as an independent investigation agency and not be misused for political purposes, Naidu said alleging, "But Congress utilises the services of CBI against its political opponents."
"People will definitely teach a lesson to the Congress in the coming elections," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’