Congress rules out pre-poll alliance with any party in Bihar
Patna: Undeterred by the rout in successive assembly and parliamentary polls in Bihar in the past decade, Congress on Tuesday said it will go solo in all future elections in the state.
"The Congress will not enter into pre-poll alliance with any party in Bihar and contest all future polls, including the next general election, on its own," AICC in-charge of Bihar Gulchain Singh Charak said.
The party`s national leadership has decided to go it alone in Bihar as a matter of policy, he said and ruled out tying up with past allies like the RJD and LJP.
RJD and LJP provides outside support to the UPA-II.
Charak, however, said the Congress has an open mind about post-poll alliance with any like-minded party, but it would depend on the political scenario.
He said people of Bihar have realised that regional parties would offer them nothing but `lollipop` and only the Congress could meet their aspirations.
The recent protests greeting Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has indicated that people have become disillusioned with the NDA government as well as the regional parties which had ruled the state for the past two decades, Charak said.
"Congress is the only party that the people of Bihar look up to to shape their destiny and bring prosperity and development in the state, besides addressing various complex socio-economic issues of the state," he said.
Charak denied media reports that Congress high command has directed its state unit not to carry out campaign against the Chief Minister and said Bihar unit had recently launched `Pol Khol` (expose) campaign against the state government after taking consent of the central leadership.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees