Congress seeks report on two MLAs cross-voting in RS bypoll
Patna: Taking strong note of two MLAs indulging in cross-voting in Rajya Sabha bypoll in Bihar, the Congress High Command has sought a report from state unit for initiating disciplinary action against them, party sources said on Friday.
"Bihar Congress had yesterday informed the party central leadership over telephone about cross voting by two party MLAs. The high command asked PCC chief Ashok Choudhary to send a written report in this regard for disciplinary action," state party vice president and media in-charge Prem Chand Mishra told PTI.
Out of four Congress MLAs in Bihar Assembly, two - Tauseef Alam and Afaque Alam - have reportedly voted, defying party direction, for Independent candidates and not for JD(U) nominees to whom the party had committed support.
Tauseef Alam represents Bahadurganj Assembly seat in Kisanganj district, Afaque Alam is MLA from Kasba in neighbouring Purnea district.
Congress High Command has taken strong note of two MLAs going against party direction and a disciplinary action would be initiated against them, Mishra said.
In a bid to defeat the design of BJP, Congress, RJD and CPI had decided to support JD(U) candidates in the two seats of Rajya Sabha that went to vote yesterday.
The JD(U) candidates--diplomat-turned politician Pawan Varma and Gulam Rasool Balyawi overcame cross-voting and won the election defeating Independents--Anil Sharma, construction baron and Sabir Ali.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISIS threat: Home Ministry holds meeting with 12 state DGPs
- Delhi: Doctor found dead in RML hospital's parking lot
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Playing politics on terror: Is this how the govt will combat terrorism?
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement