Cong`s Bihar list expected by mid September
New Delhi: Congress on Tuesday indicated that
it will announce the list of party candidates for Bihar
Assembly elections next week after a two-day meeting of the
Pradesh Election Committee, ending on September 13.
"We are poll ready. The list is almost ready. It will
be announced after the meeting of the PEC and the Central
Election Committee by the middle of this month," a senior
party leader, involved in the exercise said.
The leader said that the focus will be on giving
tickets to youth and accommodating all sections of society as
the party has no caste or community orientation in the state
like other parties.
Sources said that Rahul Gandhi will be the star
campaigner for the party. He recently held rallies in
Samastipur and Saharsa.
They said the state leadership has been asked to
prepare a list of segments where they want Gandhi to campaign.
"With the elections announced, Rahul Gandhi is likely
to take the state by storm with a whirlwind tour. Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress President Sonia Gandhi
will also address election rallies there," a leader said.
Rahul Gandhi had also visited the state early this
year to prepare the ground for the organisational elections
for the Indian Youth Congress. Since then, elections have been
held and two representatives each from the panchayat, Assembly
and Lok Sabha segment wise have been chosen for the IYC.
"Some of them could get party nomination," sources
Meanwhile, RJD chief Lalu Prasad`s brother-in-law and
former MP Anirudh Prasad Yadav alias Sadhu Yadav today met
AICC General Secretary in-charge of the state Mukul Wasnik and
Screening Committee Chairman for the state B K Hariprasada.
Sadhu Yadav had joined Congress during last Lok Sabha
elections after falling out with the RJD and had contested on
party ticket from West Champaran.
The six-phase Bihar elections will begin on October
20. The term of the 243-member Assembly will end on November
Elections in the JD(U)-BJP ruled state are expected to
be a triangular affair with Lalu Prasad`s RJD and Ram Vilas
Paswan`s LJP joining hands to oust the NDA from power.
The Congress has announced that it would go it alone.
All Left parties have joined hands to contest together and
could pose a challenge.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!