Consumption of liquor in Bihar less: Nitish
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Friday rejected Opposition`s contention of free flow of liquor and said that consumption of liquor was less in that state in comparison to other parts of the country.
At the same time, he said the collection of excise tax on liquor sale was a `staggering` Rs 1500 crore in 2011-2012 which comes as a boost to the cash-strapped state to implement various welfare schemes for the people.
"Let the opposition suggest substitute means of tax collection if it wants to put a stop to liquor sale in Bihar," he said replying to a two-day debate in the legislative council on the Governor`s speech at the joint session of the
Claiming that shops selling liquor were fewer in number in Bihar than elsewhere in the country, he said there has infect been no increase in the number of licensed liquor shops since the NDA government under him took over six years ago.
He denied the existence of liquor shops in each village and said there was only one authorized shop within three panchayats and in all the number of such shops in Bihar stood at 5474 only.
Giving figures, he said there were only five liquor shops in Bihar per one lakh population compared to 42 each in Karnakata and Himachal Pradesh. The annual consumption per person in Bihar was a paltry five boxes per year as against 100 boxes in Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users