Convict`s death sparks off protest by jail inmates
Nawada: Suspecting foul play in the death of a convict in a division jail in Bihar`s Nawada district on Thursday, fellow prisoners raised slogans prompting the jail officials to mobilise manpower to bring the situation under control, official sources said.
As the news of the death of convict, Bhuvanesh Yadav, spread, a large number of prisoners spontaneously came out from their cells and raised slogans against the jail officials alleging foul play in the matter, the sources said.
As the law and order situation appeared to get out of control, the jail officials rang the emergency bell, to mobilise the available manpower to rein in angry inmates, they said.
While the agitating prisoners alleged that Yadav died of severe beating by the jail guards, the administrative officials claimed that the inmate succumbed to ailments related to Tuberculosis (TB), the sources said.
A native of Mahua village under Hisua police station area, Yadav was serving life imprisonment after convicted by a local court in a murder case.
The body has been sent for post-mortem at the Sadar hospital, they added.
Meanwhile, District Magistrate Adesh Titirmare said that he was personally probing the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- Bollywood pays respect to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam