Copters to be searched to prevent ferrying cash in Bihar: EC
Bhagalpur (Bihar): Chief Election
Commissioner S Y Qureshi on Tuesday said the Election Commission
had ordered thorough search of helicopters being used by
political leaders in Bihar following complaints that these
were being `misutilised` for ferrying cash.
"We have ordered thorough search of the choppers being
used by leaders at the state hangar and also at the places of
arrival and departure during their movement," Qureshi told
reporters after reviewing poll preparations for the first and
fourth phase in the state`s Bhagalpur division.
The strict measures followed complaints to the EC that
these helicoptors, hired for the purpose of campaigning, were
being `misutilised` for transportation of money from one place
to another for election purposes.
Qureshi informed the EC had removed `dozens of
tainted police officers,` besides civil officials, from
Referring to some errors in the voters` list and
Photo Identity Cards, the CEC said those whose photographs
would be found to be genuine would be allowed to exercise
"And those, having not secured EPICs, can use one of
the 14 options for voting," he said.
To ensure free, fair and peaceful polls, Qureshi
said, any fund crunch would in no way be allowed to affect
He said the EC had introduced `single window system`
for political parties for use of money and they were also free
for making small expenses in cash.
Qureshi earlier expressed satisfaction over the steps
taken for ensuring free and fair poll in the division during
the meeting with the top state officials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- If Bihar marches forward, then nation will also progress: PM Modi
- Watch: CCTV footage of open firing on a liquor shop in Jabalpur
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!