Counting for Bihar elections from 8 AM Wednesday
Patna: Counting of votes for all the 243
Assembly constituencies in Bihar will take place at 8 AM
Wednesday amidst tight security arrangements.
Counting for the Banka parliamentary constituency,
where a by-election was held, will be taken up simultaneously,
Additional Chief Electoral Officer Kumar Anshumali said.
Counting will be held at 42 counting centres, mostly
in the district headquarters towns, where exclusive deployment
of central para-military forces has been made, he said.
For each of the 243 constituencies, there will be 14
tables each manned by two counting staff and a special
counting micro observer, he said.
The EVMs brought from strong rooms will be opened
under the supervision of senior officials, observers and
Election Commission authorities from 8 AM.
The EC`s official website will update the trends
Among prominent contestants are former chief minister
Rabri Devi, who contested from Raghopur and Sonepur.
Senior JD(U) ministers who contested are Vijendra
Prasad Yadav, Narendra Narayan Yadav, Renu Kumari Kushwaha,
Hari Prasad Sao, Gautam Singh, and Damodar Raut.
Other BJP ministers are Nand Kishore Yadav, Ashwini
Kumar Choubey,Renu Kumari, Awadhesh Narayan Singh.
The fate of state presidents Vijay Kumar Choudhary
(JD-U), Choudhary Mehboob Ali Kaiser Congress), Abdul Bari
Siddiqui (RJD) and Pashupati Kumar Paras (LJP) will also be
Of the 3,523 contestants, 308 are women. While 1,324
contested as Independents, 956 were fielded by unrecognised
National and regional parties fielded 1,225
candidates. The Congress was the only party which fielded its
candidates in all 243 constituencies followed by the BSP which
contested 239 seats.
The JD(U) contested 141 seats and its ally BJP 102.
RJD contested on 168 seats and ally LJP in 75.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shrinking US presence in Afghanistan creates security concerns: Report
- Bangladesh pacer Shahadat Hossain apologizes for torturing 11-year-old girl, asks for end to ban
- Bipasha Basu, Karan Singh Grover's special YOGA session before wedding!
- Vijay Mallya says keen on paying up dues, but Rs 9000 default figure artificially inflated
- Tiananmen activist Lu Jinghua alleges 'India-China economic business deal' behind visa cancellation