CP Thakur resigns as Bihar BJP Chief
Patna: In a blow to the BJP ahead of the
Assembly polls, Bihar BJP President C P Thakur on Friday resigned
from the post as he was apparently peeved at the party
leadership for alloting the Digha seat to ally JD (U).
"I have resigned from the post of the state BJP
president. I have sent my resignation to party president Nitin
Gadkari this morning," Thakur said but refused to elaborate.
Party sources said Thakur decided to tender his
resignation as he was unhappy with the decision to allot Digha
Assembly seat in Patna to NDA ally JD(U) under the
seat-sharing arrangement in the wake of the delimitation
Thakur had staked claim for the seat and wanted to
field his son Vivek on a party ticket.
His resignation has dealt a blow to the ruling
NDA in Bihar, where the first phase of assembly polls are
scheduled on October 21, the sources added.
When contacted, BJP leader and Deputy Chief Minister
SK Modi said he was not aware of Thakur`s resignation.
"But one thing I admit at this stage - there has been
discontent among party workers over the Digha seat, for
which we have staked claim," he said.
"As the seat has now gone to the JD(U) share, we will
try to assuage the ruffled feelings of our partymen," he said,
adding BJP had yielded the seat under "compulsion" during
discussions over seat-sharing.
Modi, however, said the bond between BJP and JD (U) was
"very, very strong" and "We will coninue to jointly campaign
for candidates for securing a second term."
Later talking to reporters, Thakur said, "My
sentiments have suffered a jolt ... I don`t command respect in
"What`s the point in holding the post of state
president when my simple request to secure party nomination
for my son has not been fulfilled," Thakur said.
He, however, said he would continue to serve the party
and work for bolstering its poll prospects.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- PM Modi pays tribute to Chandra Shekhar Azad, Bal Gangadhar Tilak on birth anniversaries
- Did Indian Air Force's AN-32 plane vanish due to catastrophic accident?
- Doomed EgyptAir flight broke up midair after fire: Report
- Pokemon Go daily used twice as much as Facebook
- Virat Kohli: Five incredible records set by India captain during 200-run knock