Crackdown against illicit liquor traders in Bihar
Patna: Taking serious view of loss of lives of several people due to consumption of spurious liquor, the Bihar government on Wednesday directed the police and exercise department to crackdown against the liquor traders and seize their wealth amassed through the illicit business.
The ongoing drive by the police and excise department should be stepped up against those people producing, supplying and related in different ways with the illicit liquor business, Chief Secretary A K Sinha said, reviewing the progress in crackdown against illicit liquor mafias.
The concerned authorities should issue advertisements in newspapers and other mass media to solicit people to provide information about illicit liquor factories in their areas and those running such business and announce award for information providers and ensure secrecy of identities of such people coming forth with required information, he said.
Sinha directed the home department to initiate process for confiscation of assets amassed by the illicit liquor mafias by obtaining orders from the courts in order to deter such business.
The Chief Secretary directed the excise department to take effective measures to break the monopoly of liquor business in the districts by some people and necessary provision in the excise law be made under which a person should not obtain license in the name of another person.
Earlier, the Economic Offence Wing (EOW) informed the officials at the review meeting that 49 cases have been registered against the illicit liquor business in last week of December and 92 persons booked, besides 12,953 litres spurious liquor seized during the drive.
Over 50 people, mostly from the poor socio-economic background, died after consumption of illicit liquor in Gaya, Bhojpur, Muzaffarpur, Madhubani and other districts of Bihar in recent months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days