Crackdown against illicit liquor traders in Bihar
Patna: Taking serious view of loss of lives of several people due to consumption of spurious liquor, the Bihar government on Wednesday directed the police and exercise department to crackdown against the liquor traders and seize their wealth amassed through the illicit business.
The ongoing drive by the police and excise department should be stepped up against those people producing, supplying and related in different ways with the illicit liquor business, Chief Secretary A K Sinha said, reviewing the progress in crackdown against illicit liquor mafias.
The concerned authorities should issue advertisements in newspapers and other mass media to solicit people to provide information about illicit liquor factories in their areas and those running such business and announce award for information providers and ensure secrecy of identities of such people coming forth with required information, he said.
Sinha directed the home department to initiate process for confiscation of assets amassed by the illicit liquor mafias by obtaining orders from the courts in order to deter such business.
The Chief Secretary directed the excise department to take effective measures to break the monopoly of liquor business in the districts by some people and necessary provision in the excise law be made under which a person should not obtain license in the name of another person.
Earlier, the Economic Offence Wing (EOW) informed the officials at the review meeting that 49 cases have been registered against the illicit liquor business in last week of December and 92 persons booked, besides 12,953 litres spurious liquor seized during the drive.
Over 50 people, mostly from the poor socio-economic background, died after consumption of illicit liquor in Gaya, Bhojpur, Muzaffarpur, Madhubani and other districts of Bihar in recent months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai