Cracks within RJD?
Patna: Cracks have apparently appeared within RJD, an outside supporter of UPA, with senior party leader Raghuvansh Prasad Singh having refused to vote in favour of FDI in retail along with Lalu Prasad in the Lok Sabha.
"My principles did not allow me to compromise with the political compulsion. My conscience did not allow me to vote for Wal-Mart," Singh, who was union rural development minister in the UPA I government, told a news agency here.
The RJD national vice president said he had a long argument with Prasad on Tuesday to stress that the party`s ideological foundation was based on teachings of socialists like Rammanohar Lohia and Jayprakash Narayan who always worked for welfare of poor and RJD should not support FDI.
While Singh abstained from voting in the House during voting on FDI last evening, three other party MPs including Lalu Prasad voted with the Congress.
Leader of Opposition in the Assembly Abdul Bari Siddiqui, however, said "there is no crack in the party”.
"RJD had not issued any whip on the FDI issue hence an individual like Raghuvansh Prasad Singh took a personal decision on the subject ... Moreover the episode reflects democratic traditions within the party," Siddiqui, a senior RJD leader, said.
Senior JD(U) leader and Rural Works Minister Bhim Singh claimed that people like Raghuvansh Prasad Singh who always upheld socialist ideology did not have much respect within RJD and people like him should walk out of the party.
"How come Lalu Prasad who always talks about social justice and poor went out of the way to support FDI which aims to render the poor jobless," the JD(U) minister, who himself recently switched sides to the ruling party from RJD, asked.
"Lalu Prasad is trying to woo Congress president Sonia Gandhi compromising the ideology of the party and in such a circumstance people like Raghuvansh Prasad Singh is bound to feel suffocated," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check Jharkhand JAC 12th Intermediate Arts Results 2015 on jac.nic.in
- Check rajresults.nic.in: Rajasthan Board Class 12th results 2015 to be declared today