CRPF Commandant killed in anti-Naxal operation in Bihar
Jamui: A CRPF Commandant was killed during an anti-Naxal operation in Lakharia forest region in Jamui district Friday.
Commandant Hari Kant Jha, who was the second-in-command of CRPF base in Jamui, got an information around 4 am that Maoists were camping in the forests, Additional SP R N Tiwary, who is also holding the charge of Jamui SP said.
"Jha formed a team of CRPF jawans and led them to the forest. They came across the Maoists and an encounter ensued. Jha was hit by bullets and died on the spot. The battle continued for over two hours," Tiwary said.
Tiwary said CRPF personnel from other camps had been dispatched to the place of the incident, which is around 32 km from the Khaira police station and lies close to Jamui`s border with Jharkhand.
"The body of the Commandant has been recovered by the CRPF personnel and it is being brought to the police station," he said.
CRPF Deputy Inspector General (DIG) Chiranjeev Prasad said senior officials had rushed to Jamui to take stock of the situation and intensive combing operation had been launched in areas surrounding the place of incident.
"As per our reports, the encounter began at around 5 AM when Jha led our forces inside the jungle. A few Maoists also seem to have been killed and injured in the incident. The place has been surrounded and our additional troops are reaching there," Prasad said.
Jamui, bordering Jharkhand, is considered a hotbed of Maoists in Bihar with other districts like Gaya, Aurangabad, Munger and Lakhisarai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday