CRPF Commandant killed in anti-Naxal operation in Bihar
Jamui: A CRPF Commandant was killed during an anti-Naxal operation in Lakharia forest region in Jamui district Friday.
Commandant Hari Kant Jha, who was the second-in-command of CRPF base in Jamui, got an information around 4 am that Maoists were camping in the forests, Additional SP R N Tiwary, who is also holding the charge of Jamui SP said.
"Jha formed a team of CRPF jawans and led them to the forest. They came across the Maoists and an encounter ensued. Jha was hit by bullets and died on the spot. The battle continued for over two hours," Tiwary said.
Tiwary said CRPF personnel from other camps had been dispatched to the place of the incident, which is around 32 km from the Khaira police station and lies close to Jamui`s border with Jharkhand.
"The body of the Commandant has been recovered by the CRPF personnel and it is being brought to the police station," he said.
CRPF Deputy Inspector General (DIG) Chiranjeev Prasad said senior officials had rushed to Jamui to take stock of the situation and intensive combing operation had been launched in areas surrounding the place of incident.
"As per our reports, the encounter began at around 5 AM when Jha led our forces inside the jungle. A few Maoists also seem to have been killed and injured in the incident. The place has been surrounded and our additional troops are reaching there," Prasad said.
Jamui, bordering Jharkhand, is considered a hotbed of Maoists in Bihar with other districts like Gaya, Aurangabad, Munger and Lakhisarai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Aditi and Mohit Malik’s Indonesian vacation will give you honeymoon goals
- Romantic Italian vacation! Love is in the air for Ruslaan Mumtaz and Nirali – See pics
- Bombay High Court quashes FIR against Sussanne Khan
- US asks Pakistan not to discriminate among terrorists
- CMs to make presentation on their ambitious schemes in BJP meet today