Curfew relaxed for second day in Nawada
Patna: A week after communal clashes erupted in Bihar`s Nawada town, curfew was relaxed for 18 hours on Friday for the second consecutive day, with the situation returning to normal, police said.
"In view of no fresh communal clashes on Thursday, after curfew was relaxed from morning to midnight, curfew was relaxed again on Friday as the situation is returning to normal," Nawada District Magistrate Adesh Titarmare said.
Curfew was imposed on Monday following clashes between two communities that claimed two lives and left six people injured.
The district magistrate said the administration had made elaborate security arrangements during curfew relaxation, and would maintain strict vigil.
Deputy Inspector General of Police Amit Lodha of the Criminal Investigation Department of state police is leading the investigation into the communal violence in Nawada. Four police complaints have been lodged in this connection.
Officials suspect two local leaders involved in illegal stone quarrying in the district of inciting communal hatred as part of business rivalry, a police official said.
The National Security Act would be invoked for preventive detention of troublemakers and swift action, officials said.
According to police officials, more than 50 people have so far been arrested in connection with the violence.
Police resorted to firing Monday when a mob attacked the Bundelkhand police station in Nawada, about 150 km from here.
Communal tension erupted on Friday after an altercation over the menu of a roadside eatery took place, between a group of kanwarias (Hindu pilgrims) and another community. Clashes continued on Monday after the death of a 20-year-old youth who had earlier sustained injuries in police firing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- Low job satisfaction can hamper your mental health
- Bold scenes of only big stars are praised, feels Zareen Khan
- Priyanka, Aziz making tectonic shifts in business: Poorna Jagannathan
- On Sakshi Malik, PV Sindhu's feats: Hats off to women for saving our respect in front of whole world, says Pullela Gopichand
- WATCH: Usain Bolt attempted javelin throw at Rio 2016 - His effort will shock you!