Curfew relaxed for second day in Nawada
Patna: A week after communal clashes erupted in Bihar`s Nawada town, curfew was relaxed for 18 hours on Friday for the second consecutive day, with the situation returning to normal, police said.
"In view of no fresh communal clashes on Thursday, after curfew was relaxed from morning to midnight, curfew was relaxed again on Friday as the situation is returning to normal," Nawada District Magistrate Adesh Titarmare said.
Curfew was imposed on Monday following clashes between two communities that claimed two lives and left six people injured.
The district magistrate said the administration had made elaborate security arrangements during curfew relaxation, and would maintain strict vigil.
Deputy Inspector General of Police Amit Lodha of the Criminal Investigation Department of state police is leading the investigation into the communal violence in Nawada. Four police complaints have been lodged in this connection.
Officials suspect two local leaders involved in illegal stone quarrying in the district of inciting communal hatred as part of business rivalry, a police official said.
The National Security Act would be invoked for preventive detention of troublemakers and swift action, officials said.
According to police officials, more than 50 people have so far been arrested in connection with the violence.
Police resorted to firing Monday when a mob attacked the Bundelkhand police station in Nawada, about 150 km from here.
Communal tension erupted on Friday after an altercation over the menu of a roadside eatery took place, between a group of kanwarias (Hindu pilgrims) and another community. Clashes continued on Monday after the death of a 20-year-old youth who had earlier sustained injuries in police firing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31