Damage control exercise in Bihar BJP
Patna: Amid rebellion by senior party leaders within BJP in Bihar, the party has launched a damage control exercise to check dissidence internally, ahead of the crucial
state Assembly polls slated for later this year.
Dissidence in state BJP unit surfaced recently following non-inclusion of some senior leaders in BJP`s election-related committees with Bollywood actor and party`s Lok Sabha member Shatrughan Sinha, former state party chief Gopal Narayan Singh and former health minister Chandra Mohan Rai accusing the party leadership of "sidelining" them.
The BJP high command will meet senior party leaders from Bihar in New Delhi on August 10 in this regard.
"I will be meeting our president Nitin Gadkari in New Delhi on August 10 to discuss the issues raised by some of our colleagues, including Singh and Rai," state BJP chief CP
Thakur said today.
"In fact, I have already requested our national leadership on Wednesday, to include the names of Singh and Rai in the list of the state BJP election committee," he said.
Sinha, once a star campaigner of the party, was peeved at being nominated as just a member of the state campaign committee headed by Deputy Chief Minister Sushil Kumar Modi.
"A coterie has effectively taken over the party and even the party national leadership has accepted it ... We feel sidelined," he had said.
"It is Sushil Kumar Modi who calls the shots within the party with the help of some national leaders in Bihar," a BJP leader had said on condition of anonymity.
When contacted, Singh said, "Modi is destroying the party culture with the aim to turn it into his own pocket borough."
Rai said, "I feel thoroughly marginalised in the present set up ... Leaders much junior to me are calling the shots in the party today ... I have been a member of the state election
committee since 1995, but I am no more its member this time."
Reacting to charges, Thakur said he will not "buckle under anyone`s pressure" and the nomination to the various election committees was done in keeping with the traditions.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference