Dead lizard found in Bihar mid-day meal, 25 children taken ill
Patna: At least 25 children of a government school in Bihar`s Siwan district fell ill Friday after eating mid-day meal in which a dead lizard was found, officials said.
The children were admitted to a government hospital in Siwan and are said to be out of danger, said Durgesh Kumar, a district official.
The children complained of uneasiness after eating the meal at the Sonbarsa middle school in Maharajganj block, the district official said.
Samples of the meal were collected by police.
The official said some children informed school authorities that a dead lizard was found in the meal served to them.
"It may or may not be true. I have asked a district official to probe the incident and submit a report as soon as possible," said Siwan District Magistrate Sanjay Kumar Singh.
The doctors who examined the children did not find any sign of poison in their bodies.
Last week, at least 54 children fell ill in Sitamarhi district after eating the mid-day meal. A dead snake was found in the meal served to them.
A few months ago, a dead rat was found in the mid-day meal served to a student of a primary school in Patna.
In the past, dead lizards, frogs and insects have been found in the meals served to students in the state.
Last year, at least 23 students died after eating poisonous meal at a primary school at Dharmasati Gandaman village in Saran district.
A forensic report confirmed the presence of toxic insecticide strains in the cooking oil used for making the food at the school.
The mid-day meal scheme is running in 72,000 schools across Bihar, and 16 million students avail meals cooked under the scheme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'