Deadlock on seat-sharing in Bihar continues for LS polls
New Delhi: Deadlock on Monday continued on the issue of Congress alliance in Bihar for Lok Sabha polls with seat sharing with RJD coming under a strain and JD(U) ruling out any adjustment with the party.
"Unlike BJP, Congress has many options even in Bihar," senior leader PC Chacko, who heads the AICC Scrutiny Committee for Bihar, said.
His remarks came a day after RJD supremo Lalu Prasad stuck to his offer of 11 Lok Sabha seats to Congress and one to NCP, and appealed to Sonia Gandhi to agree to the seat-sharing formula.
JD-U chief Sharad Yadav ruled out any seat adjustments with the Congress, maintaining that his party was in the front of 11 non-BJP, non-Congress parties.
"We have built a front of 11 parties. We will strengthen that and spoil the game of the Congress and the BJP", Yadav said, dismissing suggestions that there was a turmoil in his party on the issue of tie-ups.
The remarks came even as Congress sources said that back channel talks with Nitish Kumar`s JD(U) have begun.
There is a view that Congress talking to JD(U) again may be a pressure tactic to make RJD fall in line as it is playing hard ball.
Congress had fought the 2004 Lok Sabha election in alliance with RJD and Ram Vilas Paswan`s LJP and the alliance had won 29 of the 40 Parliamentary seats.
In 2009, Congress fought alone as its?alliance for Lok Sabha polls broke with RJD and LJP.
While Paswan has aligned with BJP this time, RJD has asked Congress to decide on its offer of contesting 11 Lok Sabha seats. Lalu has assured Gandhi if Congress accepts the offer, he would deliver results in Bihar and Jharkhand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert