Deadly Maoist attack in Bihar kills twelve
Jamui, Bihar: Just two days after the massacre of 24 policemen in Midnapore in West Bengal, over hundred heavily-armed Maoists attacked the Kasari village in Bihar`s Jamui district late on Wednesday and killed at least twelve villagers.
According to reports, some 150 armed Maoist rebels stormed the village last night and burnt over 25 thatched houses and opened indiscriminate firing, which left several critically injured.
The strike was said to be in retaliation against the recent killings of eight activists of the proscribed CPI (Maoist) allegedly by the villagers, according to leaflets left by the ultras at the spot.
The injured have been admitted to hospitals at Sikandra and Jamui, where condition of five persons was stated to be critical.
Maoists had given a three-day bandh call in eastern part of Bihar to protest the killing of their activists. The bandh ended last midnight.
The attack comes two days after the biggest-ever Maoist attack in West Bengal in which at least 20 paramilitary jawans were killed when ultras overran their camp at Silda in West Midnapore after setting it on fire.
The worst-ever Naxal attack came barely a week after Union Home Minister P Chidambaram`s meeting with the top officials of the four-Naxal affected states to draw up a joint strategy to counter them.
Later, Maoist leader Kishenji claimed responsibility for the attack.
"We have attacked the camp and this is our answer to Chidambaram`s `Operation Green Hunt` and unless the Centre stops this inhuman military operation we are going to answer this way only," Kishenji said from an undisclosed location.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources