Deadly Maoist attack in Bihar kills twelve
Jamui, Bihar: Just two days after the massacre of 24 policemen in Midnapore in West Bengal, over hundred heavily-armed Maoists attacked the Kasari village in Bihar`s Jamui district late on Wednesday and killed at least twelve villagers.
According to reports, some 150 armed Maoist rebels stormed the village last night and burnt over 25 thatched houses and opened indiscriminate firing, which left several critically injured.
The strike was said to be in retaliation against the recent killings of eight activists of the proscribed CPI (Maoist) allegedly by the villagers, according to leaflets left by the ultras at the spot.
The injured have been admitted to hospitals at Sikandra and Jamui, where condition of five persons was stated to be critical.
Maoists had given a three-day bandh call in eastern part of Bihar to protest the killing of their activists. The bandh ended last midnight.
The attack comes two days after the biggest-ever Maoist attack in West Bengal in which at least 20 paramilitary jawans were killed when ultras overran their camp at Silda in West Midnapore after setting it on fire.
The worst-ever Naxal attack came barely a week after Union Home Minister P Chidambaram`s meeting with the top officials of the four-Naxal affected states to draw up a joint strategy to counter them.
Later, Maoist leader Kishenji claimed responsibility for the attack.
"We have attacked the camp and this is our answer to Chidambaram`s `Operation Green Hunt` and unless the Centre stops this inhuman military operation we are going to answer this way only," Kishenji said from an undisclosed location.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rights activist Trupti Desai alleges attack by goons in Nashik, hospitalised
- CHSE Odisha +2 Result (CHSE result 2016) Exam Results 2016 likely to be declared shortly. Check chseodisha.nic.in, orissaresults.nic.in
- PM Narendra Modi silent on scams like Manmohan Singh: Arvind Kejriwal
- French Open 2016: Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic roll on, symmetry for Williams sisters
- Premier League: Jose Mourinho all set to take control at Manchester United