Death penalty for murder, rape of Bihar minor
Patna: A man who raped and murdered a seven-year-old girl was Wednesday awarded death penalty by a Bihar court, a lawyer said.
The Darbhanga sessions court of Judge Sunil Kumar Singh described the incident as "rarest of rare" and sent Indra Kumar Sharma to the gallows for the 2010 rape and murder, a prosecutor said.
According to the police chargesheet, the accused kidnapped the seven-year-old girl from village Raghopur, about 200 km from here.
Police officials here said that it was the first death sentence awarded in a murder-cum-rape case by a Bihar court since the outrage over the Delhi gang-rape last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway