Delhi rally for special status politically motivated: Congress
Patna: The Congress in Bihar on Wednesday termed Chief Minister Nitish Kumar`s demand for special category status as "contradictory" and said the JD(U) rally in Delhi on March 17 in this regard is "politically motivated" with an eye on 2014 polls.
"On the one hand, CM is talking about astounding growth rate of Bihar and on the other hand, the fact emerging from ground is that poverty is rising in the state... The two are contradictory," Congress Legislature Party leader Sadanand Singh told reporters outside the Assembly.
Singh, a former Speaker and state minister, alleged that Kumar was trying to confuse masses (about high growth rate) with the help of "heap of papers" and "lengthy talks".
"Truth is that some development has taken place in Bihar due to Centre providing liberal funds to the state and some enterprising farmers achieving record breaking production of paddy and potatoes...State government has not even added one MW of power in the last seven years," the eight term MLA from Kahalgaon (where NTPC power plant is located) in Bhagalpur, said.
The senior Congress leader backed the opinion of economist Swaminathan S Anklesaria Aiyer that Bihar which has registered high growth rate, could no longer claim to be a backward state and according to him it did not qualify for special category status.
Addressing a lecture here yesterday, organised by ADRI, which was attended by the CM, Aiyer had reportedly said you do not give steroids to a champion athlete.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi