Demand for probe against outgoing Bihar Guv intensifies
Patna: The demand for investigation into allegations against outgoing Bihar Governor Devanand Konwar of taking money for appointment of vice-chancellors and pro vice-chancellors in universities of the state intensified with two senior ministers supporting it on Monday.
Bihar Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh sought CBI probe against Konwar.
"It`s a serious allegation hence it should be probed by CBI," Singh, a senior JD (U) leader, told reporters outside Assembly gate.
His ministerial colleague and BJP leader Giriraj Singh told reporters that the matter was serious as the person against whom allegations have been levelled occupied a high constitutional post and hence the issue should be inquired into by a high level committee.
Deputy Chief Minister Sushil Kumar Modi had yesterday urged the Centre to order a probe into allegations that Konwar, who is the chancellor of the state universities, had taken money for appointments of VCs and pro VCs.
He had said a Congress legislator had levelled the allegation against him, which the Centre should get probed.
Konwar has been shifted to Tripura in the reshuffle of governors announced by President Pranab Mukherjee last week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa