Diesel subsidy to farmers hiked in Bihar for additional crops
Patna: Faced with deficient rainfall in seven districts, the Bihar government on Friday hiked diesel subsidy to farmers for irrigation of additional paddy and maize crops in Bihar, an official said.
The decision was taken at a cabinet meeting presided over by Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, the Principal Secretary (Cabinet Coordination and Secretariat) Ravikant told reporters.
The diesel subsidy to farmers was hiked by Rs 5 per litre to Rs 25 per litre and will be applicable for additional irrigation of paddy and maize crops over and above the subsidy provided for paddy crops cultivated five times and maize for three times a year, he said.
The state government had earlier sanctioned Rs. 619.75 crores towards diesel subsidy, Ravikant said adding that additional funds will be released for the purpose if required.
In the seven districts which had registered less than 50 per cent coverage of paddy plantation due to rain shortfall, minikit of seeds under the contingency crop schemes like pulses, vegetables to the farmers, the Principal Secretary (Cabinet Coordination and Secretariat) said.
He said an amount of Rs. 17.94 crores had been approved for distribution of minikits as well as three irrigation of such alternative crops.
The state government approved implementation of the centrally-sponsored scheme for integrated water harvesting and management scheme in Bihar for five years in seven rain deficient states at a cost of Rs. 230.16 crores comprising the central share of Rs. 207.14 crores and Rs. 23.02 crores as state share, he said.
The scheme will help in preservation of water in these seven districts and boost protection of environment, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore