DIG accused of making Rs 10 cr extortion demand removed
Patna: Bihar government on Monday removed a Deputy Inspector General of Police after finding some evidence against him in connection with a liquor merchant`s allegation that he tried to extort Rs 10 crore from him.
ADG (headquarters) Ravinder Kumar said some evidence had been found against DIG Alok Kumar in course of verification of complaint of extortion on the basis of which he has been removed as DIG, Saran range.
The state police headquarters took the decision to transfer Kumar so that the probe into the complaint was not influenced, he said.
R Mallar Vizhi, DIG (Home Guards), has been made the new DIG of Saran, the ADG said, adding Kumar would have to wait for his next posting.
In his complaint to the Director General of Police Abhayanand, liquor merchant Tunaji Pandey alleged that DIG Alok Kumar had demanded, through another person, Rs 10 crore from him with a threat that he would implicate him in false cases if his demand was not met.
Pandey also alleged that he met the DIG at his residence on January 10 where the officer repeated the extortion demand and threatened him with dire consequences if he failed to pay.
After investigations into the DIG`s phone conversation, Abhyanand had found evidences of the accused demanding extortion money from the liquor merchant, following which a probe by Economic Offence Bureau was ordered.
Three persons have so far been arrested in connection with the case and Rs five lakh in cash seized.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown