Dissension within Bihar BJP over Nand Kishore Yadav
Patna: Dissension surfaced within BJP over choice of leader of Opposition in the Bihar Assembly with a section of legislators protesting selection of Nand Kishore Yadav to the post without discussion with MLAs.
Peeved over the decision of the BJP Parliamentary Board selecting Yadav, NDA convenor in Bihar, as new Leader of Opposition, some BJP legislators including Prem Kumar, Chandra Mohan Rai, Giriraj Singh and Vikram Kuwar did not participate in the BJP Legislature party meeting this morning before start of special session.
Prem Kumar, who was Urban Development minister in the Nitish Kumar government told reporters they boycotted the meeting over selection of Yadav as opposition leader without consulting MLAs.
He said he has conveyed anger of party legislators over the selection to BJP General Secretaries Ananth Kumar and Dharmendra Pradhan who are in-charge of Bihar affairs.
Chandramohan Rai, who was also a minister in the NDA government, confirmed not attending the Legislature party meeting saying "when the leader was already chosen by party leader without taking views of MLAs, what was the point of participating in the meeting?"
Prem Kumar, senior BJP MLA from Gaya, questioned selection of Yadav, "whose closeness with Nitish Kumar is well known."
Showing a vernacular newspaper he told reporters outside the Assembly, that while all the markets were closed during yesterday`s "Vishwasghat divas" and Bihar bandh, Yadav`s business establishment was open.
When asked about dissatisfaction among a section of party leaders over his selection, Yadav told a news agency that "party has taken a decision and I will perform my duty sincerely."
"Some people whose ambition was dashed due to my selection are not happy," he said without naming anybody.
Party sources said that BJP Parliamentary Board has selected Yadav as legislature party leader in Assembly and former deputy chief minister Sushil Kumar Modi in the Legislative Council.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...