Drought prospect in Bihar: Nitish
Patna: Expressing fear over inadequate rainfall, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Wednesday said the prospect of drought loomed in several districts of the state.
``There is a fear of a drought-like situation in several parts of the state as 179 of its total 534 blocks have received less than 250 mm rainfall this monsoon,`` he said in a statement in the legislative council.
There has been 33 per cent less rainfall than normal in Bihar since June this year, hitting cultivation of paddy and maize, Kumar said adding the state had received normal rainfall last year which helped farmers to harvest rich kharif crop.
Factors like delay in arrival of monsoon, its de-activation for a long period in June/July, less rainfall in July and increase in prices of fodder pointed to a likelihood of a drought-like situation in the state this year, he said.
These were coupled with depletion in ground water, decline in crop cultivation area and less plantation of paddy saplings in the state, he said.
Bhagalpur, Munger, Patna districts besides those in Magadh division were among the 14 badly affected by the monsoon rain shortfall this year, Kumar said.
Paddy was cultivated in less than 60 per cent area devoted to it in 13 districts while maize cultivation area was less than 60 per cent, he said.
In all, paddy and maize cultivation was done in 65 and 78 per cent land respectively, he said adding farmland where the kharif crops stood were in bad shape due to inadequate monsoon.
The crop output would depend on steady rainfall on a regular basis, Kumar added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof