Eight die in Bihar, spurious liquor suspected as cause
Ara: Eight persons have died of in a village in Bihar`s Bhojpur district since Thursday night, with allegations being raised that the deaths were caused by drinking spurious liquor.
The eight, including three women, of Mushar tola of Anaith village under Nawada police station area succumbed at the Sadar Hospital, Civil Surgeon Virendra Kumar said today.
Autopsies were conducted on the bodies and the viscera would be taken for further tests at a forensic laboratory in Patna, he said.
He had earlier said that the deaths were caused by an unknown disease.
Three other persons with symptoms of the disease were under treatment at the hospital, he said.
On reports that the dead were victims of spurious liquor, Deputy Inspector General of Police, Shahabad range, Ajitabh Kumar initially ruled it out.
He later said a team comprising the Sub-Divisional Officer, the Sub-Divisional Police Officer and Assistant Excise Commissioner would investigate the deaths.
The deaths sparked off protest by local people and CPI(M-L) Liberation members, who blocked roads alleging that the deaths were caused by drinking spurious liquor.
Senior police and civil officials rushed to the spot and pacified them.
The CPI(M-L) Liberation has called an Ara bandh tomorrow to protest the deaths, the party`s district unit office secretary Jitendra said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row