Eight doctors to be arrested for negligence
Patna: Police have ordered the arrest of eight government doctors for negligence during the 2008 floods in Bihar, police said Thursday.
Araria Superintendent of Police S.W. Lande said he passed the orders after stumbling upon first information reports (FIRs) filed against them.
"Police will arrest the doctors and departmental proceedings will be initiated against the investigating (police) officers for lapses," Lande said.
The cases were lodged under the Bihar Essential Services Maintenance Act (BESMA) after the doctors were found absent from work during the 2008 devastating floods.
It was the worst floods the state saw in 50 years. Nearly 500 lives were lost and over three million people were left homeless.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police