Eight killed in Bihar blast, Nitish orders probe
Aurangabad: Eight people, including five children, were killed and 11 others injured when a bomb planted by Maoists went off this morning in the Naxal-hit Aurangabad district in Bihar, a day after the final
phase of Assembly polls in the state.
The bomb planted by the rebels was found yesterday by
a police team, which left it in a field in the absence of a
bomb disposal squad.
While seven persons, including five children, died on-
the-spot, one succumbed to injuries in a hospital here, the
Superintendent of Police Vivek Raj Singh said the bomb
was planted by the Maoists at Pachokhar village during the
sixth and final phase of assembly elections yesterday. The
Maoists had given a call for boycott of the polls.
Security personnel found it and left it in the field
for follow up action to defuse it.
However, when the villagers went to the field this
morning, the bomb suddenly exploded, Singh told PTI.
Twelve others, who sustained splinter injuries, were
admitted to various hospitals in Deo and Aurangabad towns. One
of them died later, police said.
However, the deceased were yet to be identified as
angry villagers did not allow the police to approach the
The district magistrate and the SP could reach Bedhni,
three km from the explosion site, and efforts were on to
pacify the local people, police said.
Meanwhile, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has directed
Development Commissioner K C Saha and Director General Home
Guard U S Dutta to jointly probe the incident.
Kumar has also asked Chief Secretary Anoop Mukherjee
to ensure adequate compensation to families of the victims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional