Encephalitis a challenge for state, Central govt: Harsh Vardhan during Bihar visit
Zee Media Bureau
Patna: Union Health Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan, while taking a stock of the rising number of deaths in Muzzafarpur and surrounding areas due to encephalitis, said that he is coordinating with state authorities and health officials to deal with the disease.
Muzaffarpur has been worst hit by an encephalitis outbreak which has claimed 148 deaths so far.
“I`m distressed to see children suffering with encephalitis,” said Vardhan while speaking to reporters.
He further added, “I`m aware of this disease for the past 40 years, but I got to know about it in detail during election campaign in Uttar Pradesh.
Vardhan was accompanied by Bihar Health Minister and Secretary of Union Health Ministry.
During his two-day visit in the district, Vardhan met several children suffering from encephalitis and announced a series of measures to try and tackle the disease, including a 100-bed paediatric ICU for Sri Krishna Memorial Hospital and two research centres at Muzaffarpur and adjoining Darbhanga.
“It will be a big challenge for both state and Central government to deal with encephalitis,”said Vardhan.
Vardhan also reiterated that the central government would provide all possible help to Bihar in controlling the outbreak.
A virology centre would be set up in Bihar on the lines of the National Institute of Virology in Pune, he said.
The disease, limited to Muzaffarpur till last week, has now spread to Vaishali, Samastipur, Sheohar, East Champaran, Sitamarhi, Begusarai, Bhagalpur and Gaya districts of the state.
The Acute Encephalitis Syndrome is a severe case of encephalitis characterised by inflammation of the brain. The infection - transmitted by mosquitoes - causes high fever.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened