Encephalitis claims 9 more lives in Bihar, toll now 159
Patna: Nine more children have died of acute encephalitis syndrome (AES) in Bihar`s Gaya, Muzaffarpur and Patna districts, taking the state`s toll from the disease to 159 in the last three weeks, officials said here on Saturday.
"Fresh AES cases have been reported from all the 10 identified districts where the disease has spread," a health department official here said.
Additional Secretary (Health) RP Ojha said that of the 409 children detected with AES symptoms, 159 have died and 82 others have been admitted to various hospitals in the state. The rest have been discharged after treatment.
According to health officials, AES, a mosquito-borne disease, has claimed lives of 100 children in Muzaffarpur district alone - the highest figure in the state. Most of these children died at the Sri Krishna Memorial College and Hospital and the Kejriwal Charitable Hospital.
As many as 47 children have died at the Patna Medical College Hospital (PMCH) and 12 at Gaya`s Anugrah Narain Medical College Hospital.
Alarmed by the situation, state Health Minister Ashwani Kumar Choubey has asked the striking junior doctors of the PMCH to resume work.
"We have cancelled leaves of doctors in the all the affected districts and alerted hospitals to provide prompt treatment," Choubey said.
A team from New Delhi is in Muzaffarpur, around 75 km from here, to help contain the fatal viral disease.
The worst affected districts include Patna, Gaya, Muzaffarpur, Sitamarhi, East Champaran and Vaishali.
"All medical colleges and hospitals have been directed to provide free medicines to patients having AES symptoms," said Health Secretary Vayasji.
Bihar is yet to officially declare AES an epidemic, which is mostly killing children from poor families.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow