Encephalitis toll touches 221 in Bihar
Patna: Encephalitis toll in Bihar has risen to 221 since May this year following death of 12 more patients on Thursday, official sources said.
Altogether 153 children have died due to symptoms of encephalitis in the Sri Krishna Medical College and Hospital (SKMCH) and Kejriwal charitable hospital in Muzaffarpur, while 52 children have died in the Patna Medical College and Hospital (PMCH) at Patna, the Additional Secretary (Health) R P Ojha said.
Eleven other deaths due to encephalitis have been reported from the Anugrah Narayan Magadh College and Hospital (ANMCH) at Gaya, whle five others have died in Vaishali districts, he said.
As many as 558 cases of encephalitis were reported from Bihar since May this year of which 221 children have died and 123 others were undergoing treatment in various hospitals, Ojha said.
The health official said that the outbreak of the disease was likely to wane once the hot weather conditions dissipated following monsoon rains later this month.
Among the remedial measures, malathion fogging was being carried out in the encephalitis-affected districts, while in some other districts DDT fogging was going on under malaria and kalajar prevention campaign, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened