End political statements on killing of Indian soldiers: VK Singh
Patna: Former Army chief VK Singh on Tuesday demanded that political statements being "put out by various quarters" about the killing of two Indian soldiers by Pakistani troops must come to an end and the armed forces be allowed to discharge their duties without pressure.
"There is no need for political statements being put out by various quarters on the killing of two Indian soldiers by Pakistani troops last week.... The armed forces must be allowed to discharge their duties without any pressure," he told reporters on the sidelines of a candle light protest by India Against Corruption (IAC) activists.
"The political parties should not make statements amounting to giving direction to the Army to do its work in a particular way as our soldiers and officers are capable of discharging their duties competently -- that is to safeguard our borders," Gen (retd) Singh said.
With regard to chorus for action by the Indian Army against Pakistan for killing two Indian soldiers and beheading one of them, the former Army chief said the demand was a childish one as the Army does not take decisions on its own and it abides by the ones taken by the political leadership.
Singh asked the people to trust the competence of the Indian Army to deal with any situation on the international borders.
Corruption has emerged as a major bane of the system and society for which the youth must rise to the occasion and fight for their right for transparency and good governance, he said.
Singh also alleged that some foreign forces have been trying to "influence political and economic issues in the country", without elaborating further.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof