Even Modi could not have done much for me: Shahi
Patna: JD(U)leader PK Shahi, whose massive defeat in Maharajganj bypoll has put Chief Minister Nitish Kumar in a tight spot and emboldened RJD chief Lalu Prasad to ask him to quit, on Monday said even a campaign by Narendra Modi could not have done much for him.
"It was my defeat (in Maharajganj)," Shahi, who is state education minister, said on the sidelines of `Janata ke Darbar mein Mukhya Mantri` programme.
"Modi was no issue in the Maharajganj bypoll," he said.
"Even a campaign by Modi could not have done much for me," Shahi, a close confidant of Nitish Kumar, said
Shahi, for whom Maharajganj bypoll was first venture into electoral politics, said he got only one month time for the elections and could not properly manage the poll.
"There was no polling agent for me in as many as 400 booths," he said.
Asked whether he would again contest election from same constituency, Shahi, who served as Advocate General in the Nitish Kumar`s first term rule from 2005-2010, said it would be the party`s decision.
The defeat of Shahi by a massive 1.37 lakh votes in the hands of RJD Prabhunath Singh had given a stick to RJD president Lalu Prasad to beat his rival Nitish Kumar saying actually it was defeat of the Bihar Chief Minister whose governance was rejected by voters.
With a section of BJP leaders asserting that one of the reasons for defeat was JD(U) criticism of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi which hurt the sentiment of voters.
BJP general secretary Rajiv Pratap Rudy a day after the Maharajganj bypoll had said that Narendra Modi was required for JD(U) as much as for BJP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad