Ex-Union minister Harikishore Singh cremated
Sheohar: The mortal remains of former Union minister and Janata Dal(U) leader Harikishore Singh were consigned to flames on Friday at his native Chawanpur village in Bihar`s Sheohar district with full state honour.
His elder son Anil Kishore Singh lit the funeral pyre at the bank of a pond, about 3 km from the district headquarters.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar flew to Sheohar to participate in the cremation of the departed leader whom he regarded as his "elder brother".
His Cabinet colleagues Shahid Ali Khan and Gautam Singh were present in the funeral. RJD leader and former MP Raghunath Jha also attended the cremation.
Singh (86) had died of heart attack on August 28 in Delhi.
He is survived by wife and two sons.
Singh was deputy chairman of Bihar State Planning Board.
He had served as Minister of State for External Affairs in the VP Singh government and as India`s Ambassador to Syria during IK Gujral`s time.
Singh was elected as a Lok Sabha member thrice from Sheohar in Bihar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured