Ex-Union minister Harikishore Singh cremated
Sheohar: The mortal remains of former Union minister and Janata Dal(U) leader Harikishore Singh were consigned to flames on Friday at his native Chawanpur village in Bihar`s Sheohar district with full state honour.
His elder son Anil Kishore Singh lit the funeral pyre at the bank of a pond, about 3 km from the district headquarters.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar flew to Sheohar to participate in the cremation of the departed leader whom he regarded as his "elder brother".
His Cabinet colleagues Shahid Ali Khan and Gautam Singh were present in the funeral. RJD leader and former MP Raghunath Jha also attended the cremation.
Singh (86) had died of heart attack on August 28 in Delhi.
He is survived by wife and two sons.
Singh was deputy chairman of Bihar State Planning Board.
He had served as Minister of State for External Affairs in the VP Singh government and as India`s Ambassador to Syria during IK Gujral`s time.
Singh was elected as a Lok Sabha member thrice from Sheohar in Bihar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed