Farooq blames Muslims for the plight of Urdu language
Patna: Union Minister Farooq Abdullah on Sunday
said Muslims were responsible for the plight of Urdu language
in the country as they did not promote it.
"Muslims themselves are to blame for the sorry status of
Urdu language. You don`t use the language in your education,
vocation and jobs", the minister for New and Renewable Energy
told an Urdu conference in Patna.
He said, "Majority of Muslims also do not read Urdu
newspapers although it is a fact that Urdu press lacks
financial incentives in terms of government advertisement."
Abdullah, however, promised that he and over forty other
Muslim MPs will raise the plight of Urdu language in
Parliament and seek positive measures from the government.
Referring to the status of second language being enjoyed
by Urdu in some states, the union minister alleged that the
status was bestowed on the language for vote-bank politics by
parties in power. They did not take any other measure to
promote the language in their respective states.
The second language status for Urdu had made no
difference to the language or the people speaking it, he said.
Calling for unity among Muslims, Abdullah said the
people of the community should fight for their rights, but
should not indulge in unlawful means in their crusade.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?