Farooq blames Muslims for the plight of Urdu language
Patna: Union Minister Farooq Abdullah on Sunday
said Muslims were responsible for the plight of Urdu language
in the country as they did not promote it.
"Muslims themselves are to blame for the sorry status of
Urdu language. You don`t use the language in your education,
vocation and jobs", the minister for New and Renewable Energy
told an Urdu conference in Patna.
He said, "Majority of Muslims also do not read Urdu
newspapers although it is a fact that Urdu press lacks
financial incentives in terms of government advertisement."
Abdullah, however, promised that he and over forty other
Muslim MPs will raise the plight of Urdu language in
Parliament and seek positive measures from the government.
Referring to the status of second language being enjoyed
by Urdu in some states, the union minister alleged that the
status was bestowed on the language for vote-bank politics by
parties in power. They did not take any other measure to
promote the language in their respective states.
The second language status for Urdu had made no
difference to the language or the people speaking it, he said.
Calling for unity among Muslims, Abdullah said the
people of the community should fight for their rights, but
should not indulge in unlawful means in their crusade.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant
- When Peter Mukherjea met and fell madly in love with Indrani