Fast against powercut called off in Ara, 3 held in Gopalganj
Ara: The indefinite fast in protest
against inadequate power supply in Bihar`s Bhojpur district was called off Thursday following assurance by the authorities,
while three persons were detained in Gopalganj for violating
law and order during a protest against erratic power supply.
At Ara, the Gopalganj district headquarters, a
five-member group, which was on hunger strike for past three
days against the powercut, called off their stir after
District Magistrate Pratima S Verma promised that there would
be improvement by the next two months, the sources said.
Verma also offered the protestors juice as they
announced to end the fast.
In Gopalganj police detained three persons, including
JD(U)`s district convenor Gopalji Sharma, for "taking law into
their own hands" during a stir against frequent power cuts
in the district, sources said.
The agitators also blocked road traffic at Monia Baba
Chowk of the district headquarters before police batoncharged
to disperse the crowd, the sources said.
Some traders also joined in by downing the shutters
for the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites