Fear of 2008-like flood fuels panic in Bihar
Patna: Thousands of people in Bihar Sunday were panicky and feared a repeat of the worst floods in the Kosi plains in 2008 after a drastic rise in the water level of the Kosi river.
The water level started rising due to Saturday`s landslide that killed eight people in Nepal. Mud and rocks came crashing down and blocked a tributary of the river.
According to reports reaching here, thousands of people have fled their houses fearing the worst after government issued an alert over likely floods in Supaul, Saharsa, Madhubani, Purnea, Khagaria and Madhepura districts of the Kosi region.
"Hundreds of people have taken shelter on high-rise roads and embankments in Supaul, Saharsa and Madhepura," state Water Resources Minister Vijay Kumar Choudhary said.
The state government has evacuated nearly 20,000 people till Sunday morning.
Principal secretary for disaster management department (DMD) Vyasji (one name) said the evacuated people have been put up in relief shelters. The number of evacuees will go up by Sunday evening.
He admitted that government agencies concerned are preparing for the worst. "We are ready to face any situation after Nepal alerted the state government Saturday," Vyasji added.
"I was informed government`s appeal has worked and people have moved out," Choudhary said.
Eight teams of the National Disaster Response Force and three of the State Disaster Response Force have been rushed for any emergency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) TNBSE Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?