Final battle line drawn between JD(U) and rebels on RS poll
Patna: With a final battle line drawn now between JD(U) and dissidents on two Rajya Sabha seats that will go to vote on June 19, the two Independents on Friday attended a meeting of rebels to discuss strategy.
Real estate baron Anil Sharma and expelled JD(U) leader Sabir Ali who are challenging official candidates diplomat-politician Pawan Varma and Gulam Rasool Balyawi attended a meeting of rebels at house of MLA Gyanendra Singh Gyanu to discuss strategy.
Gyanu told PTI that the rebel legislators expressed solidarity and vowed to defeat the two JD(U) candidates "imposed" on the party by former Chief Minister Nitish Kumar.
Complaining that ruling party members were applying "pressure" on them, Gyanu ruled out scope of any "compromise" on RS poll.
"There will be no talk with anyone till June 19 voting for the two RS seats in Bihar in which we will ensure defeat of JD(U) candidates imposed on the party," Gyanu, MLA from Barh in Patna district, said.
Gyanu, once a close aide of Nitish Kumar, claimed that more and more dissatisfied JD(U) legislators were establishing contact with them.
"More the pressure the ruling party applies on its legislators our number will increase," Gyanu, who is playing a prominent role in rebellion against party from the beginning, said.
Over a dozen JD(U) MLAs have come out in open against party leadership after induction of 14 ministers in Jitan Ram Manjhi cabinet on May 20. They have got an opportunity to manifest their anger in poll for three Rajya Sabha seats in Bihar.
After end of date of withdrawal yesterday, while JD(U) president Sharad Yadav was declared elected unopposed but on two other seats Independents backed by rebels and BJP are challenging JD(U) official candidates Pawan Varma and Gulam Rasool Balyawi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why