First phase of Bihar panchayat polls peaceful, 501 held
Patna: At least 501 people were arrested
as the first phase of the Bihar panchayat polls passed off
peacefully barring stray incidents and a poll boycott call by
Voting took place for 28,639 posts of village chiefs,
sarpanchs, gram panchayat members, gram kutchery panch,
panchayat samiti members and district board members with 1.43
lakh candidates in the fray.
Director General of Police Neelmani said 501
preventive arrests were made at different places while the
polls were `entirely peaceful`.
A presiding officer, three candidates each for
district boards and a village chief were among those arrested
from Nalanda, Bhojpur, Gopalganj, Saran, Muzaffarpur,
Sitamarhi, Sheohar, Shaharsa, Samastipur, Araria, Nawada,
Bhagalpur and Patna, Neelmani said.
Altogether 94 vehicles and around 11000 in cash were
seized during the polling, he said.
Angered over securitymen beating up a child at a
polling station, local people attacked the official vehicle of
Block Development Officer S N Jha at Birakh panchayat under
Sursand police station in Sitamarhi district, official sources
While Jha escaped unhurt, two policemen were injured
in the attack, they said.
In Nawada, anti-socials who tried to disturb polling
clashed with policemen at Khandsari under Kauakaul block, they
A presiding officer was removed following protests by
locals that he was favouring a particular candidate at
Masaurhi in Patna district.
Reports of intimidation of voters were received from
Sitamarhi, Muzaffarpur, Patna and Nawada districts.
A candidate for the post of village head Raj Kumar
Singh was killed and three others injured when a crude bomb
went off at Marpa village under Supi block in Sitamarhi
district late last night, the sources said.
Neelmani said security forces, including the central
paramilitary, besides SAP and BMP personnel were deployed at
The 10-phased polls would end on May 28.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH