Five elected unopposed to Rajya Sabha from Bihar
Patna: All the five candidates - three from ruling JD(U) and two from BJP were declared elected unopposed to Rajya Sabha from Bihar on Saturday.
The five are - Ramnath Thakur, Harivansh, Kahkasha Parveen (all from JD(U)), C P Thakur and R K Sinha (BJP).
All the three JD(U) candidates are new faces of the party to the Upper House of the Parliament. "They were declared elected unopposed after the time for withdrawal of nominations during the day ended," said Phool Jha, Secretary of Bihar Assembly and Returning Officer for RS polls.
Ramnath Thakur is the son of veteran socialist leader and former Bihar Chief Minister Karpoori Thakur, while Harivansh is a journalist and editor of Hindi daily `Prabhat Khabar`.
Parveen hails from Muslim community. They have replaced Shivanand Tiwari, bureaucrat-turned- politician N K Singh and Shabir Ali.
BJP`s C P Thakur is a former union minister while R K Sinha has his roots in the RSS. JD(U) has 118 and BJP 91 MLAs in the assembly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Saraswati Puja on Vasant Panchami - Tithi, Muhurt and Vidhi
- Ranchi shocker: Teacher kills student because he was in love with her daughter
- Rs 7L for Sikh girl, Rs 5L for a Brahmin: `Love jihad` WhatsApp message goes viral in Gujarat