Five killed in police firing in Bihar
Bagaha/Patna: Five persons were killed on Monday as a police team, investigating a murder case, was attacked by a mob in Bihar`s Bagaha police district, a senior police officer said.
A police team had gone to Katharawa village to probe a murder case of youth when a mob started pelting stones on the police team which opened fire, Additional Director General of Police (Law and Order) SK Bharadwaj said.
While three villagers died on the spot, two others succumbed to injuries in a hospital, the ADGP said, adding 26 others, including 25 policemen sustained injuries.
Additional policemen have been deployed in the village and surrounding areas in view of the tension prevailing in the area, he said.
The law and order situation in Katharwa village was tense but under control, Bharadwaj said.
The bodies have been sent for post-mortem and efforts were on to ascertain the identity of the victims, he said, adding the injured persons have been admitted to various hospitals for treatment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says