Fodder scam: Disqualified JD(U) MP gets 4 years RI
Ranchi: A special CBI court on Friday sentenced disqualified JD(U) MP Jagdish Sharma to four years rigorous imprisonment in a fodder scam case.
Judge Sitaram Prasad also slapped a fine of Rs four lakh on Sharma, who along with former Bihar Chief Ministers Lalu Yadav and Jagannath Mishra was convicted in another fodder scam case last year.
The court had on Wednesday last found Sharma and 18 others guilty in the RC 34 A/96 case, pertaining to fraudulent withdrawal of Rs 1.16 crore from Godda Treasury in the 1990s.
The court also pronounced varying terms and penalties against ex-AHD`s Touring Veterinary Officer Dr Shashi Kumar Sinha (five years RI and Rs fourteen lakh fine), Budget and Accounts Officer B B Prasad (five years RI and fine of Rs five lakh) and ex-Treasury Officer Bhanukar Dubey (five years RI and Rs 2.5 lakh fine).
The rest convicts were suppliers of fodder, who got rigorous imprisonment of four or five years and a fine amount between one lakh and eighteen lakh rupees.
On October 3 last year, Sharma along with former Bihar Chief Ministers Lalu Prasad Yadav and Jagannath Mishra, was among the 45 convicted persons in the RC20 A/96 pertaining to fraudulent withdrawal of Rs 37.7 crore from Chaibasa treasury when the RJD was ruling the undivided Bihar in the 1990s.
Sharma and Yadav lost their Lok Sabha seats following their conviction and sentence of four and five years RI respectively.
Sharma, who had got bail from the Supreme Court in the first case on January 13, is back in jail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video