Fodder scam: Ex-Bihar CM Jagannath Mishra gets provisional bail
Zee Media Bureau
Patna: The Jharkhand High Court on Friday has granted a provisional bail to the former Bihar CM Jagannath Mishra, convicted in fodder scam.
In the multi-crore fodder scam, a CBI-designated court had convicted Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) chief Lalu Prasad Yadav, Jagannath Mishra and 43 other accused and had sent them to Birsa Munda Central jail at Hotwar last month.
Besides Mishra, who was sentenced to four years imprisonment, the Bench of Justice RR Prasad also granted bail to former legislator RK Rana, also convicted in the case, on medical grounds.
Mishra was allowed to stay out till January eight for medical treatment and asked to surrender the next day.
Mishra had been taken to the Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences after he fell ill after being convicted on September 30. A medical board later referred him to the AIIMS.
Rana had been sentenced to five years in prison.
"Defence arguments on Lalu Prasad Yadav`s bail petition have been concluded. The Bench fixed October 30 for the CBI to argue," Prabhat Kumar, one of the counsels of Prasad said.
The Bench adjourned the case to October 30 after hearing a bunch of petitions filed by fodder convicts, including Prasad.
The animal husbandry department scam, popularly known as the fodder scam, accuses Lalu Yadav and Jagannath Mishra, both former chief ministers of Bihar, ministers from the department, two IAS officials and others, of fraudulent withdrawal of Rs 37.70 crore from Chaibasa district treasury of Jharkhand.
There were a total of 56 accused in the case. But during the trial, seven accused died, two turned approver, one admitted to the crime and one was discharged.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested