Foreign currency worth Rs 40 lakh seized in Bihar
Hajipur: In poll related checking to curb misuse of money and liquor in the Lok Sabha elections, police personnel on Thursday seized foreign currency worth Rs 40 lakh from a SUV at Anjanpir Chowk in Bihar`s Vaishali district.
Vaishali Superintendent of Police Suresh Prasad Chaudhary said two persons, Abhishek Kumar and Mukesh Kumar, traveling in the vehicle, have been detained in this connection.
"The seized money includes US dollar, dirham, riyal and dinar of various denominations. We have informed the Election Commission and the Income Tax personnel about this. Further probe is being conducted in the matter," said Chaudhary.
Police said the detained persons were traveling from Siwan to Patna when they were intercepted at the police check post at Anjanpir Chowk.
Hajipur Town police station SHO Sunik Kumar said the arrested persons are claiming to be personnel of Thomas Cook travel agency.
"We are trying to verify their identity and what they were doing with currency notes of other countries in the interior areas of Bihar and whether there is some hawala connection to this," said Kumar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened