Former Bihar Legislative Council Chairman Tarakant Jha dead
Patna: Former Bihar Legislative Council Chairman and senior JD(U) leader Tarakant Jha died on Sunday at a private hospital here after a brief illness.
Jha was 86 and is survived by his wife, a son and two daughters, family sources said.
He was Chairman of the Upper House between 2009 and 2012.
In a distinguished political career spanning over three decades, Jha was one of the founding members of BJP and also headed the state party unit.
Denied renomination to the Legislative Council last year, Jha quit BJP to join JD(U) earlier this year.
An eminent jurist, Jha held the position of Advocate General of Bihar and also served with distinction as the Chairman of Bihar Bar Council and member of the Bar Council of India.
He had also played a major role in inclusion of Maithili in the 8th schedule of the Constitution to give the language an official status.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar expressed profound grief over his demise.
His death has caused a huge void in polity and society, Kumar said in a condolence message and described the departed leader as an eminent jurist and dedicated politician.
Bihar Legislative Council Chairman Awadesh Narayan Singh, Leader of Opposition in the Legislative Council Sushil Kumar Modi and leaders of various political parties paid tributes to the departed leader.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick