Four Maoist commanders held in Bihar
Patna: In a major undercover operation, the Special Task Force (STF) of Bihar Police has arrested four Maoist commanders in Muzaffarpur district.
Inspector General of Police (Operations) Amit Kumar said the four, allegedly involved in various Maoist-related violent incidents including murder in North Bihar, were nabbed from Gandak diara (Riverine area) in Deoria police station area.
The four were identified as Rohit alias Babloo, Anil Sah alias Santosh Sah, Rakesh Thakur alias Shankar Thakur alias Satyam, and Basant Kumar. Rohit is the son of jailed Maoist leader Musafir Sahni.
Kumar said, "The Maoists had organised a `Shahidi Mela` (Martyrs` fair) at Suhasa and Suhasi villages in Gandak diara in Muzaffarpur district on Friday. Our men infiltrated into it, cornered the four suspects and brought them to Patna."
STF sources said the arrested persons tried to mislead them about their identities. Their identities could be ascertained only today after their family members started searching for them.
"They were involved in several cases of extortion, attack on infrastructure construction companies, arson and murder in East Champaran, Saran, Vaishali and Muzaffarpur districts," said the IG (Operations).
The vast Gandak diara has become infamous for harbouring Left-wing extremists as it is a difficult terrain. The Maoists in North Bihar are divided into three sub-zones.
They attacked a petrol pump owned by Aurai MLA Ram Surat Rai yesterday after he refused to give them protection money.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- When Muslim dies they give 20 lakhs, but Hindu doesn't even get 20,000: Sakshi Maharaj
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar