Four suffocate to death in under-construction septic tank
Katihar: Four persons died of suffocation in an under-construction septic tank in Bihar`s Katihar district today, police said.
The incident occurred at a house in Kothia Bazar area where two labourers identified as Shravan Paswan and Biram Paswan climbed down into the 20 feet deep septic tank to cement it from inside, police said.
"It seems they started suffocating either due to formation of some poisonous gas or due to lack of oxygen. Finding themselves out of breath, they screamed for help, hearing which two brothers - Ashok Gupta and Rajesh Gupta from the household entered the tank to save them. They also died there," said Katihar Sub-divisional Police Officer (SDPO) Rakesh Kumar.
Hearing the commotion, family members and neighbours rushed to the place and extricated all four persons. They were rushed to a nearby Primary Health Centre (PHC) where they were declared brought dead.
The SDPO said the bodies have been sent to Katihar town for postmortem. The exact reason behind the death could be known only after that.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Monsoon's after-effects troubling everyday lives in cities
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- Varun-Shraddha's `ABCD2` holds a firm grip at Box Office!
- School director beaten to death after two students found dead in Bihar