Four suffocate to death in under-construction septic tank
Katihar: Four persons died of suffocation in an under-construction septic tank in Bihar`s Katihar district today, police said.
The incident occurred at a house in Kothia Bazar area where two labourers identified as Shravan Paswan and Biram Paswan climbed down into the 20 feet deep septic tank to cement it from inside, police said.
"It seems they started suffocating either due to formation of some poisonous gas or due to lack of oxygen. Finding themselves out of breath, they screamed for help, hearing which two brothers - Ashok Gupta and Rajesh Gupta from the household entered the tank to save them. They also died there," said Katihar Sub-divisional Police Officer (SDPO) Rakesh Kumar.
Hearing the commotion, family members and neighbours rushed to the place and extricated all four persons. They were rushed to a nearby Primary Health Centre (PHC) where they were declared brought dead.
The SDPO said the bodies have been sent to Katihar town for postmortem. The exact reason behind the death could be known only after that.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok