Four suffocate to death in under-construction septic tank
Katihar: Four persons died of suffocation in an under-construction septic tank in Bihar`s Katihar district today, police said.
The incident occurred at a house in Kothia Bazar area where two labourers identified as Shravan Paswan and Biram Paswan climbed down into the 20 feet deep septic tank to cement it from inside, police said.
"It seems they started suffocating either due to formation of some poisonous gas or due to lack of oxygen. Finding themselves out of breath, they screamed for help, hearing which two brothers - Ashok Gupta and Rajesh Gupta from the household entered the tank to save them. They also died there," said Katihar Sub-divisional Police Officer (SDPO) Rakesh Kumar.
Hearing the commotion, family members and neighbours rushed to the place and extricated all four persons. They were rushed to a nearby Primary Health Centre (PHC) where they were declared brought dead.
The SDPO said the bodies have been sent to Katihar town for postmortem. The exact reason behind the death could be known only after that.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- 30 dead, 21 injured after bus catches fire in central China
- Revealed! Why 'Baahubali' didn’t feature a Bollywood star-cast!
- Top 5 ways to deal with mid-life crisis!
- Allahabad HC declines to entertain PIL to restrain media coverage of Kairana incident
- Despite tough training, we'll continue our Ramadan fast: Misbah-ul-Haq tells Mickey Arthur