Free after 76 days, Lalu Yadav returns to Bihar today
Ranchi/Patna: RJD chief and former Bihar chief minister Lalu Prasad, jailed 76 days ago in the fodder scandal, Monday walked out of Ranchi`s prison on bail Monday -- and prepared to return to Bihar Tuesday.
The joy in Lalu Prasad`s household in Patna was, however, muted because of the death of a relative two days ago. But that did not prevent party supporters from saying that their leader would get a grand reception as he reaches Patna.
"I have faith in the judiciary," a relieved Lalu Prasad told the media after coming out of the Birsa Munda Central Jail in the Jharkhand capital.
He made light of his stay in prison, saying even Lord Krishna was born in captivity.
A former leading light of the Congress-led UPA, Lalu Prasad appealed -- obviously with the Bharatiya Janata Party in mind -- to political parties to keep "communal forces" at bay.
From the jail, the politician went to the Deori temple on the outskirts of Ranchi, about 50 km away, and offered prayers to Goddess Durga.
This is the same temple where Indian cricket captain MS Dhoni visits.
The Supreme Court granted Lalu Prasad bail last week.
Along with another former chief minister Jagannath Mishra, Janata Dal-United MP Jagdish Sharma and others, Lalu Prasad was convicted of illegally withdrawing Rs.37.70 crore from the Chaibasa treasury in 1994-95 when he was the Bihar chief minister.
On Monday, he was released on two sureties each of Rs 25,000. He will have to take the court`s permission to leave the country.
His aides said Lalu Prasad will spend Monday night in Ranchi. He will go to Patna by road.
In Patna, Lalu Prasad`s wife Rabri Devi was elated.
"The family had been waiting for this moment," senior RJD leader Veena Sahi said. "But there were no big celebrations because a close relative of Lalu Prasad died two days ago."
Another RJD leader, Chandeshwar Prasad, said weeks of gloom had finally lifted.
"RJD leaders and workers are again gathering at the party office. Things will change for the RJD in the coming days."
Former RJD legislator Anwar Ahmad said hundreds of party leaders and workers from across Bihar would welcome Lalu Prasad when he reaches Patna Tuesday afternoon or evening.
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar refused to comment on Lalu Prasad`s release.
"It is not a part of a political process. It is purely a court decision," he said.
"I did not comment when he was convicted and granted bail. Now that he has been released, I have nothing to say."
Nitish Kumar insisted that Lalu Prasad`s release would not have any impact on Bihar politics.
Lalu Prasad was convicted Sep 30 and sentenced to five years imprisonment Oct 3 last year.
Lalu Prasad is facing trial in four more fodder scam cases in CBI courts of Ranchi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!