Gates Foundation, Bihar ink deal for better health
Patna: The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation have signed a Memorandum of Cooperation (MoC) with the Government of Bihar to ensure better delivery of medicare.
With the signing of this MoC, the foundation will extend aid to various health projects in selection districts of the state.
The memorandum was signed in the presence of Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar.
"The Gates Foundation has its biggest focus on improving health. So, as we watched over the last few years, Bihar really makes a priority to improve health, including things like immunisation. We have been very impressed. So, during my last visit, the Chief Minister and I had a conversation that kicked off the discussions that led to today`s Memorandum of Co-operation," said Bill Gates.
The memorandum aims to improve and increase the availability, quality and utilisation of health-care facilities and services.
This is an initiative to reduce maternal mortality rate (MMR) and infant mortality rate in Bihar.
Various health-related projects including eradication of tuberculosis, pneumonia, diarrhoea using will see support of the Gates Foundation.
"There will be intervention by the foundation in eight districts, to scale up and improve the work that has already been started in the state. The projects in which they will support in these eight districts include work in the fields of pneumonia, diarrhoea, Kalaazar and tuberculosis," said Nitish Kumar.
During the visit, Gates interacted with the locals and generated awareness on various health-related measures.
The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, regarded as one of the biggest charitable trusts in the world, is expected to collaborate with the Rajiv Gandhi Charitable Trust for running various welfare programmes at several places in India.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India