Gaya hooch tragedy main accused surrenders before court
Gaya: Rajkumar Yadav alias Mantu Yadav, brother of RJD MLA Surendra Yadav, who is the main accused in the hooch tragedy in Bihar`s Gaya district that claimed at least 20 lives, on Monday surrendered before a court.
Yadav arrived in the district court virtually unnoticed and surrendered before the court of the Chief Judicial Magistrate (CJM) RNS Pandey.
Superintendent of police, City, Akhtar Hussain said that the police will apply for his police remand for two days to facilitate his questioning.
The police had earlier unsuccessfully raided various places in Koderma, Hazaribagh, Giridih and Dhanbad districts of Jharkhand and Patna and Gaya districts of Bihar to nab Yadav, who was hiding after a case was lodged against him at Rampur police station following the death of at least 20 people, including a dozen Dalit people, after consuming spurious liquor last week.
The police had obtained an arrest warrant from a court and applied for attachment of Yadav`s property to pressurize him to surrender, Hussain said.
At least 20 persons, including two women, had died after consuming spurious liqour in various localities under Rampur and Chekri police station areas in Gaya district over three days since December 10 last.
The police had later raided a godown in Bindi Yadav market and seized a large quantity of packets of hooch allegedly belonging to Yadav, who was said to be the supplier of the spurious liquor, Hussain said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'
- Camera Day: Celebrate the art of photography and go click-happy!