Gaya OTA to conduct maiden passing out parade
Gaya: The Officers Training Academy (OTA) in Gaya is poised to conduct its maiden Passing Out Parade on June 9, heralding a new era in the history of Indian Army.
Officers Training Academy, Gaya, better known as OTA Gaya is the third pre-commissioning military academy in the country. It was raised on July 18, 2011.
At present, there are two such pre-commissioning military training academies - The Indian Military Academy in Dehradun and the Officers Training Academy in Chennai for commissioning in the Indian Army.
To mark the commencement of the academy, a flag hoisting ceremony was solemnised by Lt Gen K Surendra Nath, PVSM, AVSM, VSM, General Officer Commanding in Chief, Army Training Command.
The consecration of the raising of the academy was carried out in true secular tradition of the Indian Army, with recital of scriptures from holy books of different religions.
The academy spread over 800 acres, has been equipped with state of the art training facilities, at par with other pre-commissioning training institutions.
The academy was formally inaugurated on November 14, 2011 by the former Chief of Army staff, General VK Singh PVSM, AVSM, YSM, ADC, in a modest ceremony.
The insignia of Officers Training Academy, Gaya has a two-colour background, with upper half as grey and the lower half blood-red, having two cross swords superimposed with the Dharmchakra. A scroll below bears the motto of the academy - ‘Shaurya, Gyan, Sankalp’ in devnagri.
The first batch of 149 trainee-officers, known as Gentlemen Cadets, joined the academy in the second week of July last year, while the second batch reported in January 2012, increasing the strength to nearly 350.
In the years to come, the total strength will be increased to 750.
The raising of this new academy is an effort to minimise the existing shortage of officers in the Indian Army.
Besides, it will also provide golden opportunity to more young aspirants who want to join the Indian Army as an officer.
Lt Gen Jatinder Sikand, VSM took over as the second Commandant in January 2012.
The academy has come a long way since its raising and can boast of having world class training infrastructure.
The academy has also hosted a number of high ranking foreign military delegations since its inception.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon